2001 Park Place North
Birmingham, Alabama 35203-4804
Crawford S. McGivaren, Jr.
Crawford McGivaren is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He has been listed in Chambers USA for Commercial Litigation since 2002. He has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America in Business and Personal Injury Litigation since 1989, and is recognized for Antitrust Law, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Professional Malpractice Law and Railroad Law. He has been named by Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top 50 lawyers in the state of Alabama and was listed as a Leading Lawyer for 2012, in the area of Personal Injury and Antitrust (North America) by Lawyers World. He is one of five Alabama lawyers listed in the Who’s Who Legal section under USA Commercial Litigation. He is also named in the inaugural edition of Benchmark as a leading lawyer. He serves as Alabama Division Counsel for Norfolk Southern Corporation and he is on the Executive Committee of the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel.
His practice has encompassed contract, securities, trade regulation, partnership, shareholder oppression, dissenter’s rights, director and officer liability litigation, insurance coverage, and all manner of personal injury/toxic tort litigation. Ultimately prevailing after two en banc opinions, he was the principal defense counsel in the securities case that first recognized the “fraud-on-the-market” theory of Rule 10b-5 liability. He was trial and appellate counsel in groundbreaking cases resulting in federal preemption decisions favorable to the rail industry. He has been responsible for medical malpractice defense and other litigation and compliance at major Birmingham hospitals. He has defended class and individual claims asserting product liability, consumer finance violations and insurance fraud. He has handled employment, non-compete, and tortious interference claims, and the successful defense of a long-running Human Rights Act case in West Virginia. He was co-lead defense counsel in one of the largest property damage lawsuits in South Carolina history. He represented two corporations that obtained judgments in June 2014 in excess of $100 million on RICO claims stemming from commercial fraud.
He is a member of the Defense Research Institute, the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association and The Torts and Insurance Practice and Health Law Sections of the ABA. He is active in bar, community, and charitable affairs.
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America – Antitrust Law, Banking & Finance Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Land Use & Zoning Law, Personal Injury Litigation, Professional Malpractice Law, Railroad Law and Securities Litigation
- Highest listing in Chambers USA for General Commercial work
- Selected in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 by Chambers USA as a “Leader In His Field” in the area of Litigation: General Commercial
- International Who’s Who of Commercial Litigators – one of four in Alabama
- “AV” rated for the highest ethical standards and legal ability by Martindale Hubbell, a peer review rating system
- Named a “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation for his work in Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury and Securities
- Selected by the Birmingham Business Journal to be listed in the Who’s Who in Law and Accounting
- Included on the Alabama Super Lawyers’ list every year since 2008
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as the “2012 Birmingham Railroad Law Lawyer of the Year” and as the “2013 Birmingham Litigation – Antitrust Lawyer of the Year”
- Recognized by Lawyers World as a Leading Lawyer for 2012 in the area of Personal Injury and Antitrust – North America
- Listed in the 2015 edition of Benchmark Litigation as a “Litigation Star” for outstanding work in litigation.
NOTICE. Although we would like to hear from you, we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest. Also, we cannot treat unsolicited information as confidential. Accordingly, please do not send us any information about any matter that may involve you until you receive a written statement from us that we represent you (an ‘engagement letter’).
To initiate a possible representation, call the telephone number located under the attorney’s photo. He or she will determine if any conflict exists, and, if not, put you in touch with an appropriate lawyer. When you receive an engagement letter from that lawyer, you will be our client, and we may exchange information freely.
Areas of Practice:
- Business Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Trade Regulation
- Professional Liability Defense
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- L.L.B., Harvard Law School, 1968
- B.A., magna cum laude, Honors in English, Vanderbilt University, 1965
Admitted to Practice:
- Alabama State Bar (1968)
- All Alabama U.S. District Courts
- Eleventh and Fifth Circuit Courts Circuit Court of Appeals