2001 Park Place North
Birmingham, Alabama 35203-4804
Michael E. Turner
Michael’s state-wide litigation practice encompasses a wide variety of subject areas, but a significant portion of his practice involves the defense of employers in employment-related litigation in both federal and state courts and before administrative agencies. He also advises clients on employment-related issues, including the drafting of written employment policies and procedures. Michael also has experience in drafting and litigating non-compete and non-solicit agreements, and he has handled multiple lawsuits in state and federal court involving those agreements. Michael also represents employers in workers’ compensation cases.
Michael also frequently represents companies in the defense of toxic torts (including asbestos and talc) and other personal-injury claims. And, he has considerable experience representing banks and servicers in defending and resolving cases involving claims for ejectment, wrongful foreclosure, and other claims arising out of mortgages. Michael’s litigation practice also includes representing clients in business-related disputes, such as breach of contract and collection cases, and defending fraud-based claims.
Michael is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in: Litigation – Labor and Employment and Employment Law — Management. He was selected for inclusion on the Super Lawyers’ Alabama Rising Stars 2011 list. He has been listed multiples times in the annual Top Attorneys list of the Birmingham Magazine.
Recent significant, representative case results include the following:
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant client on the asbestos-related claims of 25 plaintiffs in three consolidated cases in state court in Jefferson County, Alabama. 20 of the plaintiffs were dismissed on motions based on lack of sufficient product identification or statute of limitations grounds. The final 5 plaintiffs were dismissed after expert discovery on lack of causation grounds in the final round of summary judgment motions.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court in Birmingham for an employer in a case involving race discrimination claims arising from an employment termination.
- Obtained summary judgment for client in a wrongful-death case in state court in Mobile arising from alleged asbestos exposure.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court in Mobile for an employer in a case involving claims of race, sex, and age discrimination over a failure to hire. Successfully defended the appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, which affirmed the trial court’s ruling.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court in Birmingham for an employer in a case involving claims of race discrimination and retaliation arising from an employment termination.
- Obtained the dismissal of FRSA retaliation claims against 10 individuals on a Rule 12(b)(6) Motion to Dismiss in federal court in Birmingham.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national loan servicer against borrowers asserting wrongful foreclosure and related claims in multiple cases in Alabama state courts, including the Circuit Courts of Jefferson County, Mobile County, Madison County, Macon County, Etowah County, and Lawrence County.
Michael is a native of Shelby, North Carolina. He and his wife and two daughters live in Mountain Brook, Alabama. Michael earned the Eagle Scout award from the Boy Scouts of America.
NOTICE. Although we would like to hear from you, we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest. Also, we cannot treat unsolicited information as confidential. Accordingly, please do not send us any information about any matter that may involve you until you receive a written statement from us that we represent you (an ‘engagement letter’).
To initiate a possible representation, call the telephone number located under the attorney’s photo. He or she will determine if any conflict exists, and, if not, put you in touch with an appropriate lawyer. When you receive an engagement letter from that lawyer, you will be our client, and we may exchange information freely.
Areas of Practice:
- Labor and Employment
- Workers Compensation
- Civil Litigation
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- J.D., cum laude, Wake Forest University, 1996, Wake Forest Law Review, 1994-1996, Wake Forest Moot Court Board, 1994- 1996, Order of the Coif
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1993
Admitted to Practice:
- Alabama State Bar (1996)
- United States Supreme Court
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama